Healthy is Delish by Beth: Quinoa & Spinach Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Quinoa & Spinach Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
My husband grew up eating quinoa and potatoes for dinner. However, while he appreciates now in hindsight the nutritional value of that combo, as a kid he didn't exactly love the taste. I decided to recreate his childhood dinner with plenty of extra flavor and color! These quinoa and spinach stuffed sweet potatoes are incredibly filling by themselves as a complete meal, but feel free to add a simple salad to round out your family lunch or dinner.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 4 thoroughly washed sweet potatoes (I love Japanese sweet potatoes with white flesh)
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of Better than Bouillon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup shelled, roasted, salted pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup shaved or shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a sheet plan, place the sweet potatoes with multiple holes poked in each to allow for steam to escape. Bake potatoes for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Potatoes are finished when they are tender.
- In the meantime, place quinoa, water and bouillon (or broth) in saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover for approximately 15 minutes, until water is absorbed, and quinoa is fluffy.
- While quinoa and potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Sautee red onion for 5 minutes until tender. Add the garlic to sautéed onion for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add spinach in 2 batches and toss everything together until spinach is wilted. Turn off the heat and mix in raisins. The warm spinach will help plump the fruit.
- Stir cooked quinoa into spinach mixture and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- When the sweet potatoes are finished, take them out of the oven and let them cook for a few minutes. Split open baked potatoes and press on both ends to make room for toppings. Fill each potato with quinoa and spinach.
- Just prior to serving, sprinkle pistachio nuts and parmesan cheese over the top of the potatoes.